Budget airline catfight ahoy, as Jet2.com bitchslaps Ryanair
In Ryanair News today, it's not passengers that Sky Marshall O'Leary is aggravating, but other budget airlines. The announcement that Ryanair plans to fly 13 new routes out of Leeds Bradford Airport has upset the other budget airline that's been based there for quite some time. Jet2.com are getting the arse about it, as the homepage of their site subtly makes clear:
The "full story" turns out to be a shocking catalogue of abuse that "other airlines" will dish out to hapless passengers, while conveniently ignoring their own charges and twisting the figures to boot:
- 22kg baggage allowance from £7.99 one way – on other airlines this could cost YOU £115! (£230 return)
- Seat Allocation – Be sure to sit with your family, on some other airlines you’ll have a mad rush to grab a seat!
- Sports Equipment costs £20 one way with Jet2.com – some other airlines will charge YOU over £74!
- FREE ONLINE Check-in for Hand baggage with Jet2.com – some other airlines will charge YOU!
- AIRPORT Check–in with Jet2.com will only cost you £3 each way – on some other airlines YOU will be charged a staggering £40 each way!
Of course Ryanair could point out that Jet2.com charge up to £8 per seat, or up to £25 for one with extra legroom - "for a return flight, that's up to £200 for a family of 4... just to sit down!" - and jet2.com obviously don't mention that Ryanair has a different baggage allowance hence the massive discrepancy, or that their own pop-up list of additional charges doesn't mention how much passengers are charged per additional kg of baggage - "the airline that hides the truth from you!" - and so on. You get the point.
The website is stuffed full with huge banners, pages of claims, ticker-tapes running across the screen. It's such a knee-jerk reaction that makes jet2.com management look like petulant children, you can't help but that feel a) it won't make a dent in Ryanair's passenger numbers once they roll into town, and b) jet2.com didn't know a thing about Tuesday's announcement until they saw the Sky Marshall in that bloody shirt.