Woman dies after answering her iPhone 5

16 July 2013

iphone-charging-300x225 A Chinese woman has died after being electrocuted by her iPhone 5, which was on charge. Ma Ailun, who worked for China Southern Airlines as a flight attendant, went to answer the call after getting out of the bath when the incident happened last week.

Her grieving sister blogged about it, and now it’s all over the Internet, Apple China are probably crapping themselves. They said: ‘We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter.'

Although rare, phone electrocutions can happen because of electrical insulation failure. In Xingiang, where Ma lived, the temperature is very hot, and some suggest that heat could be a contributing factor.

Unfortunately, the reasons for the fault will be little comfort for Ma’s family- she was only 23, and due to get married on August 8th.

Seems like Apple might have a bit of explaining to do.

TOPICS:   Technology   Mobile

21 comments

  • Tweedskin
    Sounds like a case of using a dodgy Chinese rip off charger to me.....
  • spyro
    Clearly she didn't flex wit da herb.
  • Ian
    "after getting out of the bath" - so, using an electrical device when wet hands carries a risk of electrocution? Who'd have thought it?
  • Zeddy
    Apple might if they get more than the fag end of the whole facts surrounding the incident.
  • Grammar N.
    The phone was plugged into a socket and she answered it while wet after a bath. Yes, clearly Apple are to blame here.
  • fibbingarchie
    I also read that she'd been running with scissors earlier in the day.
  • Kev
    Surely this is just natural selection
  • Nobby R.
    And there we have a strong contender for the Darwin awards!
  • LancerVance
    'Xingiang' does not have a 'hot' 'temperature' as it does not exist Lucy. There is nowhere in the world called Xingiang. In all fairness, the story is bollocks anyway as the current drawn by a phone charger isn't nearly enough to electrocute anyone.
  • LancerVance
    give me my name back, bitch
  • Ghost M.
    有没有人有
  • blagga
    Xinjiang. Same fucking difference. Grow up. It's not like it's a roman character language anyway, so does that really warrant a twattish comment?
  • Woman G.
    [...] Bitterwallet [...]
  • Lancer V.
    Can you people not think of your own names????
  • Big M.
    'In all fairness, the story is bollocks anyway as the current drawn by a phone charger isn’t nearly enough to electrocute anyone.' 'phone electrocutions can happen because of electrical insulation failure.' There you go, explained that one for you.
  • Apple G.
    [...] dies using a charging iPhone 5, Apple vows to aid in investigationApple InsiderZDNet (blog) -Bitterwalletall 431 news [...]
  • Dick
    Surely it should be "while answering" not "after answering".
  • StuartStupid
    Under curtain conditions (wet, bare feet to the floor certainly being one of them) very little current is required for disastrous effects. As others have suggested; Darwinian theory?
  • Sporky M.
    @StuartStupid: It was curtains for her.
  • Phuck Y.
    Her grieving sister blogged about it before she called the ambulance? Fucks sake. "LOL, sister on floor spazzing out! LOL OMG thiz iz so funny! ROFL!" Just before uploading the video to YouTube* * Doubt she can access YouTube so fuck you.
  • Karen
    I can't believe some of these comments! Whether or not it was a stupid move on her part, she has died at 23 years of age. That's terrible no matter what the circumstances are and we should all have some compassion.

What do you think?

Connect with Facebook, Twitter, or just enter your email to sign in and comment.

Your comment