The worst excuses for late tax returns
Of course, the deadline for online tax returns is upon us and so, to show us all that they're a bit of fun and not just dead-eyed bean-administrators, HM Revenue and Customs have gone and released their annual list of the 10 worst excuses that folk have given for filing or paying their tax return late.
Are you ready? Let's go!
1. My pet dog ate my tax return… and all the reminders.
2. I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a postbox or get an internet signal.
3. I fell in with the wrong crowd.
4. I’ve been travelling the world, trying to escape from a foreign intelligence agency.
5. Barack Obama is in charge of my finances.
6. I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs.
7. A work colleague borrowed my tax return, to photocopy it, and didn’t give it back.
8. I live in a camper van in a supermarket car park.
9. My girlfriend’s pregnant.
10. I was in Australia.
We quite like the idea of palming everything off on Barack Obama. 'Why are you covered in baked beans?' 'Obama was feeding me.' 'I thought I'd told you not to get so appallingly drunk...' 'Barack Obama was out. And I had to look after some fox cubs while I was there'.