Supermarket gin beats big brands in taste test
Are you a gin drinker? Do you like mentioning it every 3 minutes on Twitter and saying "Ho! Ho! It is gin o'clock methinks!" Firstly, you should be swiftly kicked up the arse for being annoying, but secondly, here's some interesting gin news.
A bunch of own-brand supermarket gins have beaten some of the big brands in a blind taste test, which means those ponces who turn their noses up at cheap booze can go whistle.
The tests were carried out by Which!!!, who clearly wanted an excuse to get hammered at work, but the results make for interesting reading.
Topping the table was Morrisons' £10.49 London Dry Gin, which got a score of 80%, well ahead of the market leading Gordon's gin. In second place, Lidl's Castelgy London Dry Gin, and that'll cost you a paltry £9.99.
"Once again, our taste tests have shown that supermarket own labels are giving the big brands a real run for their money," says Which!!! editor Richard Headland. "Some inexpensive bottles received a much higher score from our experts, proving you don't always need to splash out."
Seeing as we're looking at summer drinks, it was a similar story with white wines, with Asda's Extra Special Leyda Valley Chilean Sauvignon Blanc coming out on top.
Of course, gin-enthusiasts will notice the absence of some of the more popular, branded gins. There's no Gin Mare, Hendrick's, Tanqueray, Monkey 47 or Williams Chase - we don't know if Which!!! tried them or not, but still, if you want some decent, cheap booze, then this list is not to be ignored.
And so, to the tables, so you can see how various wines and gin fare against each other. Feel free to make your way through the lists to conduct your own 'experiment', but don't blame us if you find yourself crying at the bottom of a stairwell.
Best Gin Results
1. Morrisons London Dry Gin 80% £10.49
2. Lidl Castelgy London Dry Gin 78% £9.99
3. Waitrose London Dry Gin 78% £12
4. Greenalls London Dry Gin 77% £15
5. Beefeater Dry Gin 76% £16
6. Asda London Dry Gin 75% £11
7. Sainsbury's London Dry Gin 74% £11.50
8. Aldi Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin 74% £9.99
9. Gordon's Special Dry London Gin 74% £16
10. The Cooperative London Dry Gin 73% £11.99
Best Crisp Dry White Wine
1. Asda Extra Special Leyda Valley Chilean Sauvignon Blanc 79% £5.75
2. Lidl Cimarosa Sauvignon Blanc 2014 78% £5.89
3. Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Albarino 2013 74% £8.00
4. Waitrose Grüner Veltliner Niederösterreich 2014 73% £7.99
5. The Co-operative TrulyIrresistible Leyda Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2014 71% £6.99
6. M&S Picpoul de Pinet 2014 69% £8.50
7. Aldi The Exquisite Collection Clare Valley Riesling 2014 67% £6.99
8. Morrisons M Signature Vermentino di Sardegna 2014 67% £5.99
9. Cono Sur Bicicleta Sauvignon Blanc 2014 66% £6.99
10. Oxford Landing Sauvignon Blanc 2014 62% £7.99