Facebook videos, now with adverts

2 July 2015

facebook mobile Facebook videos are about to get themselves loaded up with adverts. Great news if the autoplay feature wasn't annoying enough.

Anyway, there's a lot of videos that get millions of shares on the social network, and now, it looks like you'll be able to try and make some money on it all, just like you can on YouTube. Facebook are going to be trying out a new feature called 'suggested videos', and it will appear in your newsfeed and will show videos from people who have paid a lot of money to get placed adverts in your eyeline.

Remember when your newsfeed was a linear timeline that you could work out and see what you wanted, rather than the mess it is now?

Anyway, it looks like Facebook will swipe 45% of the revenues, with partners taking the remaining 55% and the NBA, Fox Sports, Funny or Die and some other people we haven't heard of are first in the trial. "We've heard consistently from media companies and other video creators that if they were able to make money from their videos, they would publish more," Facebook’s vice president of partnerships Dan Rose told Variety.

Looks like Facebook have cottoned on to the fact that celebrities and business are embedding YouTube videos into Facebook, when the social network would prefer everything in-house, where partners can upload more videos directly. Knowing Facebook, they'll tinker with their algorithms so that their own videos take greater prominence over links to YouTube vids.

Of course, this could meet some friction as people won't want to hamstring their income from their YouTube videos.

Facebook have some things to sort out too - a lot of content creators have complained that Facebook is hosting too many videos that have been ripped by others, which means the people who want to monetise it can't, and lose control of their product. This is galling if a video is doing the rounds, with 1bn views and the person who created it isn't seeing a penny.

While YouTube has Content ID, which helps people to identify when their copyrighted content is being swiped, Facebook (at the moment), does not.

TOPICS:   Social Media

What do you think?

Connect with Facebook, Twitter, or just enter your email to sign in and comment.

Your comment