How to sell your stuff on HUKD
The “For Sale/Trade” section of HUKD is a great tool. Unlike eBay, there are no listing or final value fees. You also get to interact in real time with prospective buyers, and as long as your item is reasonably hot, you’ll probably shift it. While the pool of potential buyers is smaller, the chances of making a successful sale are, if anything, better than they would be on a site like eBay. Contrary to popular belief, just because it is a bargain site does not mean you’ll get crap prices on stuff you sell. Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
1. Read the rules. Here is a brief summary: you can’t list stuff twice, you can’t sell the same item anywhere else, and you must take pictures of the item you are selling. You’ll also need to post a description of whatever you’re selling. Bear in mind that once an offer has been made or accepted through the discussion thread, all transactions must proceed. All negotiation must take place on the discussion thread. Private messages are for exchange of personal information only. Buyers who spoil threads by posting rubbish risk getting banned, as do those not following the rules.
2. Post good pictures. You can’t post pics in the original post, except for a thumbnail pic, so to increase viewer interest in your item, you can add a second post and insert a link to the picture. Use a site like Imageshack, upload the pics, and place the [img] [/img] tags before and after the link to have them inserted into the post. You can obviously also use the image button to do that. Put a piece of paper with your HUKD username and the date next to the actual item for sale before taking any photos (or just watermark your pics with a program like Google's Picasa). This shows the condition of the actual items and proves that you didn’t copy the photo from another site.
3. Check your thread. Don’t forget to check the thread after you list your item. It’s easy to forget doing this, so one way to remember is to subscribe to your own thread to get updated. Also, make sure you respond to your buyers. Ask those who PM you to post in the thread. They also act as social proof to increase interest in your thread.
4. Post at busy times. Posting something at 3 in the morning is probably not the best time for making a quick sale, so post at times when HUKD is busy. Like most sites, this usually is around lunch or in the evenings when people wind down from their days at work. Your threads don’t rise to the top with each reply, which makes it even more important to pick the right time to post to increase viewings. Let us know if you find the best times to post items from your own experiments in the comments below.
5. Be realistic about how much you can make. You’ll be surprised how well you can do on HUKD selling stuff, but it is also important to be realistic. I’ve sold stuff that probably wouldn’t really fetch as much on a site like Gumtree, while some other items I’ve sold for loads on ebay would not generate much interest, because, of course, HUKDers are awesome. By following some of the steps above, you will maximize the probability of your item being seen by people, to increase perceived value.
6. Build your feedback. Establishing trust on HUKD is not different from building your rep on eBay or any other site. Since most transactions will occur online, you should offer an offline option to collect in person in your area (which also saves you from posting the item), and also start by selling enough smaller and/or cheaper items to build up your positive reputation.
As an alternative to eBay, sellng your stuff on HUKD can save you time, money, and frustration. As long as you follow the rules, you will successfully list and sell your items on HUKD and optimize your profits.