Woman finds <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">severed finger</span> mobile phone in packet of crisps
In the history of processed cuisine, many foreign objects - animal, mineral, vegetable - have found their unsavory way into our food. Whether it's the rat's head found in a can of green beans or a severed finger in a pint of chocolate custard, there's a good chance you're going to put something wrong in your mouth.
Such a fate almost befell Emma Schweiger from Wisconsin, who was happily stuffing her face with potato chips crisps when she found herself holding a knackered Nokia handset covered in a delicious "greasy potato-chip film". Seemingly such a generous free gift puts some folk off their fat intake, as Schweiger "doesn't want chips for a while". Some people, eh?
Our favourite quote from the Janesville Gazette, the paper the broke the news, has to be:
She's glad she found the phone and not a child who might have put it in his or her mouth, she said. She's also glad the phone wasn't in a product she would have heated, she said.
Americans have the reputation for being fat knackers who shovel food in their mouth, but it's unlikely a small child would manage to mistake a mobile phone for a potato chip and consequently choke on it. And if it was a product that needed to be heated, we suspect that only a stupid person would do so in a sealed foil bag.