UPDATE - avid Bitterwallet reader Mark says: "Be careful with this. I installed it last night (legally – I have a dev license) and this morning I can’t get onto the App Store. It’s beta software."
On Monday, Apple unveiled iOS5, the new operating system for iPhones, iPads and the iPod Touch. It has lots of fancy bells and whistles, plenty of features that critics believe should have been available from the start and more than a few that mimic those offered by competitors and app developers.
iOS5 won't be available for some time, however. Developers can get their hands on it so they can start building and testing apps in preparation for its rollout, but if you're an ordinary punter then you'll have to wait.
Except you may not have to, because an Apple fanboi has already figured out how to get it onto your handset, without any complicated jailbreaking.
The work of Mert Erdir from Turkey has already been picked up and verified by the likes of Gizmodo. We've attempted the method below, but twice ran into error messages on iTunes while trying to install the update. It's possible Apple have already nailed shut the back door that Mert was using, or it's possible that your technologically backwards Bitterwallet hacks didn't do it properly.
Regardless, the method for upgrading to iOS5 is below; we'll add the disclaimer that what you do with your iPhone is up to you - don't come crying to us if the result of attempting this is an expensive paperweight:
Download and install iOS 5
1. Download the iOS 5 IPSW file from the web (it's easy and readily available. Just Google it and torrent it down).
2. Update your iPhone using iTunes. To do this, connect your iPhone to your computer, click on the Check for Update button with the Option (Mac) or Shift (PC) key pressed. Select the iOS 5 IPSW file from the place you downloaded it to.
3. Wait until it upgrades. A new activation screen will appear.
Activate iOS 5
1. Triple click the home button. This will activate the Voice Over.
2. Triple click the home button and Emergency Call will appear.
3. Click on Emergency Call and, while it's switching, swipe with your three fingers down.
4. The Notification Center will appear!
5. Click on the Weather widget. The Weather app will load.
6. Click on the home button to exit to the iPhone's springboard.