Where do burglars like to work in UK? London and Leeds, it seems
According to new research, it really sucks to live in Stoke Newington in north London or just about anywhere in Yorkshire. Why? Mainly because they're the people most likely to have made a claim for theft or burglary on their home insurance policy.
For every 1,000 people living in the N16 Stoke Newington postcode, almost 34 have had to make a theft related insurance claim, according to Moneysupermarket.com. Everyone who lives in Stoke Newington is pretty posh, so it's little wonder thieves are making it a must-visit destination.
All-in-all, London and Yorkshire are the highest burglary hotspots, with Leeds coming out of it pretty badly.
The best place to live if you don't want your house burgled include Bodelwyddan in Denbighshire, Elgin in Moray, Peterlee in County Durham and Helston in Cornwall. They either claim the least or that's where all the thieves live.
Julie Fisher, head of home insurance at Moneysupermarket.com said: 'Home is where the heart is, and there is no denying that a burglary in your home is an emotional and frightening experience. However, being in a higher risk area doesn’t necessarily mean where you live is bad or rife with crime – many thieves will target more affluent areas purely for the rewards on offer.'
Here's the top 20 UK postcode districts most likely to claim for theft on their home insurance
1. London N16 (Stoke Newington)
2. Bradford BD10 (Apperley Bridge)
3. West Bromwich B71 (West Midlands)
4. London N22 (Wood Green)
5. Leeds LS13 (Bramley, Rodley, Swinnow)
6. Leeds LS15 (Austhorpe, Barwick-in-Elmet, Colton, Cross Gates, Halton, Halton Moor, Scholes, Whitkirk)
7. Bradford BD18 (Saktaire, Shipley, Windhill, Wrose)
8. Leeds LS7 (Chapel Allerton, Chapeltown, Little London, Meanwood, Potternewton, Sheepscar)
9. Doncaster DN2 (Intake, Wheatley, Wheatley Hills)
10. London SW16 (Streatham)
11. Leeds LS8 (Fearnville, Gipton, Gledhow, Harehills, Moortown, Oakwood, Roundhay)
12. Greater London UB7 (West Drayton, Harmondsworth, Sipson, Yiesley, Longford)
13. London IG8 (Woodford Green)
14. Barnet EN5
15. Birmingham B75 (Sutton Trinity, Falcon Lodge, Rectory)
16. Cleethorpes DN35
17. Sheffield S13 (Handsworth, Richmond, Woodhouse)
18. Bradford BD2 (Eccleshill, Fagley, Wrose)
19. Leeds LS12 (Armley, Farnley, New Farnley, Wortley)
20 London NW7 (Mill Hill)