Mmm, don’t know about you, but when I open a pack of bananas I love it when HUNDREDS OF VENOMOUS BRAZILIAN SPIDERS crawl out of it. Well that’s what happened to Consi Taylor, who was all set to dig into a healthy snack when she noticed some ‘funny little spots’ on the bananas she’d bought from Sainsbury’s.
On closer inspection, she realised that the spots were actually spiders, which started hatching out and having an eight-legged Brazilian spider carnival on her kitchen table.
So she complained to Sainsbury’s, who gave her a measly £10 voucher in compensation for her life-altering arachnid horror.
BUT, when Ms Taylor sent a picture of the spiders to a pest control company, they basically told her to put down the phone and evacuate– as their bite can cause paralysis and death. So she had to stay in a hotel and have her entire home de-spidered.
Sainsbury’s, who were probably bricking themselves, paid for the fumigation and accommodation and said: ‘We do have rigorous controls on imported products at all stages - from harvesting to transportation - which is why this is so rare.'
But even if it happens once, that’s really not very good, is it? Anyway, best to check your bananas before you buy - or switch to a healthier, safer snack, like, er...Pop Tarts.