BT put up price of landline, broadband, calls and TV
If you're a customer of BT, which millions of people are, you are looking at a number of price hikes as the telco puts up their costs for the second time in 12 months.
If you have a standard broadband and unlimited anytime call package, it is going to cost you around £43 more per year. The cost of standard line rental will be rising by £1 per month, to £18.99.
If you're a standard and unlimited broadband customer – that'd be those of you with copper lines - you're going to be paying an extra £2 per year. If you're a superfast broadband Infinity customer, the monthly hike is £3 (depending on your package, of course).
This comes into play from July 3rd.
If you've got BT Sport, because you want to watch UEFA Champions League matches (or Major League Baseball, among other things), that's also going up by £1. This package is still free however, if you have broadband and TV with BT.
"We realise that customers never welcome price rises," said John Petter, chief executive of BT Consumer.
"We have also done our best to ensure that all of our customers will get more value if their price is going up, and we know they want faster speeds and better online security from their broadband."
Of course, this follows the news that Sky are putting the price up on their TV packages too, which we wrote about. Virgin Media have also increased the price of getting their broadband, home phone, and TV services.
BT's Price Increases
- Standard line rental - up by £1 per month to £18.99 from £17.99
- Line Rental Plus customers – up £1 more a month, from £19.99 to £20.99 per year
- Standard broadband - up from £13 to £15 per year (worth noting that BT have said that customers are going to receive 20% extra usage allowance and security upgrades, which they think are worth £43 per year)
- Unlimited broadband - up from £13 to £18 per year
- Infinity 1 - up £1 from £20 to £21.
- Unlimited Infinity 1 - up from £23 to £26
- Unlimited Infinity 2 - up from £30 to £32.50
- BT Sport - up by £1 a month, but still free for BT broadband and TV customers.
- Calls to UK landlines and 0870 numbers - up from 10.24p to 11p per minute
- The Unlimited Anytime Calls - up from £7.95 to £8.50 per month