Which companies aren't paying minimum wage?
The government are naming and shaming companies that don't pay minimum wage, and the biggest name on the list is Monsoon/Accessorize, who clearly make enough profit to do so. According to the powers that be, the fashion retailer owes its 1,438 staff £104,507.83, which is not to be sniffed at.
Also on the list is the Tyne & Wear Riding for the Disabled Association, which should be giving staff £27,151.79 extra.
Nick Boles the Business Minister, says: "Employers that fail to pay the minimum wage hurt the living standards of the lowest paid and their families. As a one nation government on the side of working people we are determined that everyone who is entitled to the National Minimum Wage receives it."
"Next April we will introduce a new National Living Wage which will mean a £900-a-year pay rise for someone working full time on the minimum wage and we will enforce this equally robustly."
So far, the government have doled out £513,000 in penalties to firms that aren't paying their workers fairly. And the government don't care how big or small your company is - they'll name you.
Top 10 minimum wage offenders:
1. Monsoon Accessorize Ltd - didn't pay £104,507.83 to 1,438 workers
2. Tyne & Wear Riding for the Disabled Association (trading as Washington Riding Centre) didn't pay £27,151.79 to 6 workers
3. Project Security UK Ltd, Doncaster, failed to pay £23,857.11 to 18 workers
4. Carl Keith Salons Ltd, Prescot, neglected to pay £20,535.03 to 5 staff members
5. Cornwall Glass & Glazing Ltd, trading as Exeter & MacKenzie Glass Centre, who underpaid £14,253.66 to 9 employees
6. Mr Gholam Ghiassi, Chaigley, neglected to pay £14,208.40 to 2 staff
7. Helen Woodend, trading as New Brooms, Burton-in-Kendal, didn't pay £13,447.01 to 14 employees
8. Stoke College Educational Trust Ltd, trading as Stoke College, Sudbury, neglected to pay £12,094.83 to 7 staff
9. Village Garage Engineers Ltd, trading as Village Garage, Plean, underpaid £9,159.80 to 3 workers
10. Aspect Plumbing & Heating Ltd, trading as Aspect Plumbing & Heating, Liverpool, failed to pay £8,280.45 to 1 person (they'll be gutted today)