Fact Attack! The humble ATM is 45 and a bit years old!
Last month saw the 45th anniversary of the introduction of the ATM, but we were so busy doing other stuff that we forgot all about it. Anyway, here’s what you need to know…
• The ATM was invented by John Shepherd-Barron.
• The deal for the first machine (with Barclays) was sealed over a pink gin.
• The first machine was located in Enfield.
• Plastic cards had not been invented, so the machine used cheques that were impregnated with carbon 14, a mildly radioactive substance.
• Reg Varney off of On The Buses was the first person to get some money out.
That is all.