Tiger Bread is dead. Long live Giraffe Bread

January 31st, 2012 16 Comments By Andy Dawson

giraffebread 300x184 Tiger Bread is dead. Long live Giraffe BreadLast June, we ran a story about a 3-year-old girl named Lily, who had written to Sainsbury’s, asking them why their Tiger Bread was thus named when it looked more like the markings of a giraffe than a tiger. A fair point, and the supermarket rewarded Lily for her cleverness with a nice reply and a £3 gift card.

For some reason that we can’t quite fathom, the story has gone megaviral across the internet over the past few days, with almost 25,000 people visiting the original Bitterwallet story for our take on it.

Better still, Sainsbury’s have today announced that they’ll be acting on young Lily’s advice and changing the name of their Tiger Bread to Giraffe Bread. If the change proves popular, the new name will stay – and we assume Lily will get a royalty for every loaf sold? Yes? YES? Hmmm….

1. Posted by Dick January 31, 2012 at 2:57 pm

A change to leopard would have made more sense.

First thing that comes to mind for a tiger – stripes.
    First thing for leopard – spots.

So I expect giraffe bread to have a long neck.

2. Posted by Grumpy January 31, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I’ve solved it.

Sainsbury’s linked to this blog post:

That blog post says that the fire started back up because of a tweet linking to this post on Bitterwallet. It also liks to your post.

So that’s why your server bills are gonna be HUGE this month… ;-)

3. Posted by Mike Hock's Best Mate January 31, 2012 at 3:48 pm

What the fuck is wrong with these people? I expect they’re all eating their animal-themed breads with their iPhones and BMW/Audis and sending this nation to hell. I blame the BBC and their Downturn fucking Abbey.

4. Posted by Sarah January 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Well, I think it’s a great idea!

5. Posted by Gerard January 31, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Personally, I use my fingers to eat my bread. I’ve never tried it with an iPhone or any kind of car. While I suspect it might be a bit tricky, I’m not certain it’d have any lasting effect on this nation?

However you’re right – the BBC are to blame for all of this. Them and that show they don’t make.

6. Posted by Nick T January 31, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Yeah, it looks a bit like a giraffe, but it also looks like a really old dry scab that’s cracked. Scab bread? You heard it here first, and they’re my fucking royalties.

7. Posted by zeddy January 31, 2012 at 6:40 pm

@Nick T: you twat! Don’t you remember? You’re a Republican!

8. Posted by tin February 1, 2012 at 8:48 am

Fuck pissing about renaming loaves of bread. Get your arse into some stores where you’ll see customers pissing and moaning left right and centre about the lack of staff on tills, and another load of customers being harassed by droid robot self service bullshit complaining of unexpected item in the half-arsed-method-of seeing-if-you’re-trying-to-steal-stuff area.

9. Posted by The Real Bob February 1, 2012 at 9:30 am

@tin – Both of my local Sainsburys never have that problem, at Christmas every single till was open and generally once it gets more than 2 customers deep they’ll start opening more, maybe you should write to your local branch manager suggesting that it’s letting him down? Although I’d suggest using slightly less tourettes based language than you are currently.

10. Posted by Dumb Public February 1, 2012 at 9:38 am

Again- this is marketing.

No way a 3 year old can perfectly type a letter.

If the parents wrote it, why pretend to be the kid and insert errors?

Someones getting free publicity today.

11. Posted by Alexis February 1, 2012 at 10:54 am

Cynics!

It’s a nice story.

12. Posted by Mike Hock February 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm

In other news, foul mouthed Bitterwallet regular, Mike Hock, punched a 3-year-old in face, whilst she rescued a kitten, for complaining to Sainsburys about their quirky bread. In an interview, Mr Hock stated it was the BBC with their Downturn ‘Fucking’ Abbey, BMWs, Audis and iPhones that were to blame.

13. Posted by pauski February 1, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Looks more like a turtle to me? Turtle bread (my copyright now….don’t you think Nick T?)
    Still remember the story right here on good old BW…nice story.

14. Posted by Jerec February 2, 2012 at 7:27 am

Sorry but that looks like a Sat Nav Map to me.

TomTom Bread.

15. Posted by Rob February 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

It reminds me of foxes.

16. Fuck Shiteburys. They cant even afford spitting Jimmy Oliver any more, hes gone to Morrisons.

Shiteburys for Deathwatch.