Posts Tagged ‘Visa Waiver Program’
Are you heading over to the United States? Make sure you visit the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) website in view of the new Visa Waiver Program’s electronic application system. (Credit to BW reader Lam for giving us the heads up)
As of yesterday, the United States government will be implementing this system for those who wish to visit the United States. You need to apply for an ESTA at least 72 hours before your departure, whether by air or by sea. You can apply in advance as well through their website.
You’ll be required to fill out a simple form, and approval is almost instantaneous. Be ready with your passport and travel info. Applying for ESTA is free of charge, and it is good for 2 years, so you don’t have to keep doing this once you’ve been approved.
In order to enjoy visa-less travel to US, you must meet these conditions:
* You are a citizen or a national of a country which enjoys the Visa Waiver Program (UK is one of these countries.)
* You don’t have a visitor’s visa.
* Your travel is less than 3 months or 90 days.
* Your US travel plans are geared towards business or leisure.
* You must have a machine-readable passport. (This type of passport contains two lines and chevrons below the personal information page.) If your passport was renewed before October 26, 2005, your old passport needs to have a digital ID picture or an electronic chip.
If you want to stay in the US for more than 3 months or plan to arrive via a non-signatory carrier, you need to apply for the Visa Waiver Program.
Here are 4 steps to follow for a successful application: