Posts Tagged ‘supermarket shopping’
Time for our daily look back at the bargains that are ‘trending’ (as the trendy people are prone to say) over on HotUKDeals at the moment. Get yourself there now if you want to get a hella load more of stuff like this lot…
Sick of Britain and its weather and its crappy telly and its so-called ‘coalition government’? Looking to get the hell out of Britain once and for all? On a boat? Well don’t look at us – all we can offer is a day trip.
It’s from Dover to Calais and you’ll get six free bottles of wine as well as a BOGOF offer on an English breakfast or fish and chips. And at the moment you can have a piece of it for just £19.00 per person.
Supermarket shopping can be one of the most fun experiences that you can have with your clothes on. Provided you do it at 3.15am when there are no other customers around and you’ve already been hit in the head with a spade in order to render you sluggish.
Better off doing it all online and not having to have your sensibilities offended by the filthy hordes that make up the general public. At the moment, one of the nation’s leading supermarket is offering delivery charges of only £2.00, at any time of the week. A good excuse to say goodbye to leaving the house FOREVER!
Finally today, one of the most eagerly-awaited console games since the last one that we described as ‘one of the most eagerly-awaited console games since the last one that we described as…’ – hmm, that could go on and on.
It’s Gran Turismo 5 for the PS3 and you can immerse yourself in a world of pretend car-driving insanity this week for the piffling price of only £30.00. Zoom, roar, vroom, screech, crash etc…
(deals found by HUKD members powerful_Rogue, Az911 and ezman)
Over the past year or two, most of us have had to cut expenses. While it’s relatively easy to go from eating out twice a week to eating out once a week, some of us have had to go beyond that, doing our best to cut out unnecessary expenses wherever we can.
But grocery shopping presents us with a complex psychological environment in which it’s deliberately not easy to fill our trolley with the things we need, pay for them, and leave.
Supermarkets have played on consumer psychology for decades. For example, the produce greets us first thing, because it appeals to our sense of going to the market to get things we need, whether we buy the fresh produce or not. Here are three other ways supermarkets try to pry more money out of our wallets.
1. Locating emotionally invested choices away from the ends of the aisles. For example, people are particular about their coffee. If the coffee is placed at an aisle end, customers will feel rushed into grabbing a tin of coffee and moving along so as not to block shopper traffic. If coffee is placed in the center of an aisle – requiring the maximum number of steps from either end – the shopper is more likely to pull his trolley over and evaluate his coffee choices.
2. Stores want their customers to do three things: shop the high-margin areas of the store, fulfill their needs, and fulfill their wants. Placing the needs so that you have to pass through the “wants” and high margin areas first maximizes the chance customers will stray from their list.
3. The least expensive items are set out so you’ll encounter them after having bought your more expensive items. The theory is that you’re more likely to spend on little extras if you’ve already invested in the top-end items on your list.
There are numerous ways to fight the temptations supermarkets are so good at presenting. Everyone knows not to shop when they’re hungry, but there are a few other strategies, too.
2. Visit the butcher late in the day when you’re more likely to see items marked down for quicker sale. You can freeze extra servings for later.
3. Some coffee lovers say that if you mix a jar of cheap coffee and your favorite coffee, the cheap coffee will absorb some of the full bodied flavour of the expensive brand, and drastically cut your coffee expenses.
Got proven tips on how to make it through shopping day unscathed? Please share them with us below!